#BookaDayUK (August) - Day 5 - Classic hero (heroine) and anti-hero/heroine

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - Tom Stoppard Cowboy Bebop, Vol. 1 - Yutaka Nanten The Complete Sherlock Holmes -  Arthur Conan Doyle Pride and Prejudice (Abridged BBC Radio Collection) - Patricia Hodge, Jane Austen The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

Finally on time for today's entry, whew!

This is making me think rather hard, so I'll start with anti-hero/heroines.

Dexter Morgan.  Seriously, Dexter Morgan from Jeff Lindsey's "Dexter" series.  Charming guy who is a serial killer and just so happens to operate under a code for killing only bad guys (and then as the series goes on, the lines get kind of blurred).  I found myself following this dude through several books of this series and I'm still fascinated.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Tom Stoppard's play are antiheroes.  Very amusing ones I might add.  It's one of my favorite stage plays and one of my favorite movies as well (seriously, Tim Roth and Gary Oldman are amazing in the roles.)

Spike Spiegel from the manga Cowboy Bebop is *definitely* an anti-hero.  And he's a fun one to follow at times.  I truly think of him as a "space cowboy" - attitude and all.

Anti-heroines are hard to come by for mention, but in the mention of Cowboy Bebop, I think Faye Valentine fits the description (she's not my favorite character, but I was able to follow her through the series and I had a like/hate relationship with her) - she's tough when she has to be, sometimes vulnerable in others.  The series has a way of making you want to follow her as she sticks with the crew.  Catwoman from the Batman series is another anti-heroine (I like Catwoman's character, particularly in some adaptations/installations of the series).  I feel like this could spawn a larger conversation about how there aren't a lot of anti-heroines for mention in juxtaposition with anti-heroes, but that's another topic to be had for another day.

Does Sherlock Holmes count as an anti-hero?  He could be a classic hero too for his qualities.  He straddles qualities of both.

Someone mentioned Hermione as a heroine and I absolutely agree.  She's one of my favorites.

Jane Eyre is one of my favorites.  Elizabeth Bennett (Pride and Prejudice) is one of my favorite heroines.    Fitzwilliam Darcy's one of my favorites.  Samwise (Lord of the Rings) is one of my favorite heroes.

But I digress - I have too many to name and not enough space to carry them.  Until next entry.