Finished

Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World - Christina Lauren, Lev Grossman, Tiffany Reisz, Rachel Caine, Jen Zern, Heidi Tandy, Rukmini Pande, Samira Nadkarni, Wendy C. Fries, Jolie Fontenot, Randi Flanagan, Tish Beaty, Cyndy Aleo, V. Arrow, Brad Bell, Andrew Shaffer, Darren Wershler, Anne Jamison, Jules Wilkinson, R

I'm done.

I think this might be the review that might end up getting removed from Goodreads for the things I talk about, but thankfully, I have other places to post it if it does (and I'm going to attempt to post this on GR in full, provided I don't break the character limit, because this will be one of those reviews.)

Many of the articles in this compilation were BRILLIANT.  Absolutely spot on about fandom life, the constructive dimensions of fanfiction, the definitions of different fandom jargon and histories, and the controversies that come into play with respect to fanfiction.

But Anne Jamison can GTFO as far as her contributions were concerned.  And I don't say that lightly.  Constructively speaking, as annoying as Lauren Billings's essay was concerned, it wasn't nearly as harmful as Jamison's narratives were.

If taking out Jamison's narrative, I could've easily given this 4 stars.  But given the obvious and many biases this text has on certain fandom notations and such, it's probably not going to get higher than 2 stars from me.  YMMV.

As an aside note: Tiffany Reisz and Rachel Caine both had brilliant essays in this, and there are a number of others I'll mention in the review for their constructiveness. I can't name all of them, because it's a dense text, but I'll try to give as much feedback on what was in this compilation as I can.