On page 292

Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World - Christina Lauren, Lev Grossman, Tiffany Reisz, Rachel Caine, Jen Zern, Heidi Tandy, Rukmini Pande, Samira Nadkarni, Wendy C. Fries, Jolie Fontenot, Randi Flanagan, Tish Beaty, Cyndy Aleo, V. Arrow, Brad Bell, Andrew Shaffer, Darren Wershler, Anne Jamison, Jules Wilkinson, R

"Anonymity is a key benefit. Fanfic offers professionals the same things it offers amateurs: honest critique, the play (which can also be discipline!) of assuming other voices, other styles and story lines. The freedom to experiment without risking your reputation or the investments of your publishers. Nonfiction writers—and professors!—get to take off our mantles of authority and all the positive and negative baggage that comes with them. If only J. K. Rowling had published her mystery novel as fic, she could have gotten much of the benefit (the honest, unbiased, Potter-free response to her work) she sought."

I've probably said FML several times in the past several essays in this book, but this quote really has me headdesking and repeating the phrase in a constant stream.

*sighs* Reading on.  I'm pushing through.