Good Thinking: Seven Powerful Ideas That Influence the Way We Think

Good Thinking: Seven Powerful Ideas That Influence the Way We Think - Denise Cummins "Good Thinking" is, in and of itself, a puzzle logic book. It's not quite what I was expecting coming into it, considering I thought it would be more theory based and cover the topics within with a little more grounding, but it's more of an exploration into different aspects of thought, and then matching theory with some measures of analytic puzzles that occur in real world situations. The book breaks down the dimensions of thinking in several categories: Rational Choice, Game Theory, Moral Judgement, Scientific Reasoning, Logic, Problem Solving, and Analogical Reasoning. All of them are excellent dimensions to consider, especially when thinking across different disciplines and bringing them together to analyze the best methodology in approaching them.However, while the theories in this book are all quite sound and the author makes some interesting points with respect to the logic within each of the aspects covered, I wasn't as enamored with it as I thought I would be. The examples were from a variety of disciplines, but at the same time, I thought it might delve a little more into the theories and conceptual basis of each dimension. I thought perhaps there would be a little more organization with respect to the disciplines approached (some were real world/casual, others were medical, etc.)I think it's a good book if people like brain/mind teasers in a variety of different approaches, but it's not the most comprehensive on the subject I've come across. I would say that if you're just getting into logical reasoning books, there are others that could probably provide a better introduction than this does. But for those who are familiar with the genre, and want an interesting read in the discipline, this isn't a bad book to check into. It's at least worth the read to gain insight on each of the dimensions Cummins addresses.Overall score: 3/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Cambridge University Press.