If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?

If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? - Melissa Kantor Fairytale retellings are definitely my cup of tea. I like having the pleasure of reading a story that takes a popular tale and reinterprets it in a way that's fresh and unique, though it might take cues (whether subtle or overt) from the original tale in spurts. That said, "If I have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince" attracted me from the get go, not just for the title, but also the blurb.Lucy is a young woman who's had to uproot her life in many considerations, so its easy to see why she's a bit bitter about things, and she has a strong, savvy voice to boot. For one, while her father's sporadically on leave with work in San Francisco, she has to contend with her strict stepmother as well as her bratty, younger twin stepsisters. To make matters more complicated, she's not exactly at the top of her social ladder at school, being the new girl. Her situation in itself seems to be, realistically, what a lot of teenagers go through when they adjust to new stepparents and have to fit into a new school environment.Things start changing for Lucy when she catches the eye of Connor, one of the most popular and handsome guys at her school. That ultimately teleports Lucy up several notches on the social ladder - gaining her a few friends as well as an ideal love interest who shares a common hobby with her, developing into something more. But as events progress through the story, relationships and encounters are not always what they seem for Lucy, and she learns to stand up for herself and her personal interests in the long run.The story in itself is unapologetically chick-lit, and the lines within Lucy's voice take on heavy tones in the vein of "Cinderella," only Lucy isn't as kind or humbling as Cinderella would have you believe, but still manages to be funny and sympathetic in spurts. In some ways, I felt sorry for her; in others, I felt she was being a bit snotty, and even beyond that, there were some drama points where I had to suspend disbelief (neither of your parents were willing to invest in getting you furniture for your room to put your clothes? Ouch.).Also, I think the parallels made to the Cinderella theme might've been overused, which somewhat ruined the ease of progression for me, though I did, ultimately, like the story. If it had been toned down somewhat, it still would've remained in good humor and not felt like it was beating me over the head at the end of every chapter, though there were punctuated points where I thought it was clever. Still, weighing the positives and the negatives, this was a book I enjoyed reading and one I think the audience its aimed for would enjoy. It's mostly dependent if you like stories which you can easily swallow in a blend of light teen chick-lit and fairy tale parallels, albeit loose. There isn't any magic or mysticism to be had here, just the interpretations of a girl with a strongly asserted voice, eventually finding her way to her own "happily ever after."Overall score: 3/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Disney-Hyperion.