Avalon Chronicles Volume 1: Once in a Blue Moon

Avalon Chronicles Volume 1: Once in a Blue Moon - Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir, Emma Vieceli What a fun, awesome read this turned out to be! The Avalon Chronicles Volume 1: Once in a Blue Moon follows in the tradition of some of my favorite otherworldly stories. Aeslyn is a young woman who starts off with a love of fantasy stories and happily ever afters. But after the death of her father and her mother's firm assertion to grow up, she ends up losing touch with her willing imagination. At least until, as a young adult, she comes across a shop with her best friend and ends up buying a book that teleports her into the world of her former favorite story. She learns about her destiny to become a dragon knight, meeting some colorful characters and uncovering new revelations that ultimately will lead her to pursue her destiny.I'll admit, this story follows in a familiar trope and it may not be new to a lot of traditional fantasy fans, but the fact that Aeslyn is such a forthcoming heroine, coupled with the story's charm and humor to boot, it manages to be an entertaining read. I probably liked it even more considering I have a fondness for stories like The Twelve Kingdoms and Fushigi Yuugi, although I would say that this story is far lighter than the aforementioned. The art and design is charming and takes on an style not unlike many Japanese manga or Korean manhwa. I think this kind of story would be appealing to middle-grade/young adults who want something of a simple fantasy story that transports into the world of Avalon. I'm looking forward to reading future installments of the series.Overall score: 4/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Oni Press.