Review: A Girl's Guide to Fitting in Fitness

A Girl's Guide to Fitting in Fitness - Erin Whitehead, Jennipher Walters

"A Girl's Guide to Fitting in Fitness" is one of the most comprehensive fitness/wellness guides for teen girls I've come across in quite some time. Erin Whitehead and Jennipher Walters both do a remarkable job of covering some of the major dimensions of keeping young women active. The language throughout the work is encouraging and informative, and provides not only specific information among a variety of dimensions, but also inclusive resources for girls to use to supplement with the material in this book.

The book divides itself into eight sections - the first providing reasons why it's important for girls to stay active and noting the health benefits of exercise as well as the physical. I'm glad that caters to overall body health and positive imaging. The narrative moves forward to highlight what composes a fitness plan, ways of eating healthy, finding time to be physically fit at in the mornings, at school, during weekends and on summer breaks, as well as some helpful tips on conquering stress and moving beyond the basics in a fitness regimen. The goal setting section (using the S.M.A.R.T. tag - Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely) is especially one for girls to check into with respect to setting goals with their fitness and wellness, and I like that it's encouraging exploring different options including but not limited to working with a personal trainer.

I would certainly recommend this for not only teens who are reluctant to start an exercise program, but also those who are enthusiastic and want to learn more. It caters to both groups with its easy dialogue, visual images, and organized presentation of the material.

Overall score: 4.5/5

Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Zest Books.