Slipping Reality

Slipping Reality - Emily Beaver There are probably many things I could say about "Slipping Reality" - I have to commend Emily Beaver for writing a story like this at fourteen years old and then daring to put it to publication, but to be honest, the writing leaves so much more to be desired, even with its tough subject matter. I'll be honest in that I'm probably spoiled from reading quite many books that center around characters with cancer that have far more lyrical, emotional, and imaginative depth than this one - the latest one I've read being "A Monster Calls" by Patrick Ness. But it doesn't seem fair to juxtapose that novel, among others, and this one in terms of experiences in writing, I realize.This story revolves around Katelyn's coping with her brother having cancer, and facing a blended reality which she escapes to in the mix of her grief. She meets two boys and delves into the fantastical dream like world that blends the world that she knows with the stories she reads. The concept in itself seems fascinating and likely to draw readers to it, but the execution of the actual novel leaves much to be desired, as it's difficult to really get into the cusp of what Katie's feeling and experiencing. The whole time I read the novel, I felt like I was at arms length with Katie's emotions and experiences. Much of this was due to the fact that Beaver does a lot of telling and not enough showing - the latter of which would allow the reader to be more engrossed in the mixing of the realities as well as the grief that Katie's character feels. There's also a lot of focus on mundane details that probably could've been easily extracted from the novel. Whenever a character says that a detail is "boring" - it usually comes across as that for the reader's experience. The prose goes on and on, and by the time we get to the marks of the novel where Katie's experiences are really hitting home, it's well over 70% of the novel gone by. I wish this could've been a better read for me. I wish it could've been the kind of powerful experience that others have had when reading the novel, but as an avid reader and writer, I do feel like I have to be honest in my feedback. My honest opinion is that "Slipping Reality" could've been a much better novel if it were shaped and rounded out better. The sentimentality and the idea behind it is worth merit, but I think if the author had chosen to reshape it with a little more experience behind her belt, this would've been a much better work.Overall score: 2/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher AuthorHouse.