Shayla Witherwood: A Half-Faerie Tale

Shayla Witherwood: A Half-Faerie Tale - Tamra Torero "Shayla Witherwood: A Half-Faerie Tale" is a fairly typical story in that it involves a young woman who's half-human, half-faerie attending high school for the first time after being homeschooled for much of her life. She's had to maintain her abilities and keep her identity a secret, so fitting into her school environment proves no easy task. I think many people may not necessarily appreciate the slice of life progression it has (things don't start moving along definitively until the kiss that's mentioned in the blurb), but if I consider this an MG rather than YA read, it's actually quite appropriate. There's very little romance here, fairly lighthearted atmosphere, and it's overall a simple, cute, and light read.Unfortunately, up to a point in the story where the momentum started picking up, it was difficult to get through because of a lot of telling details. I think the only time I truly connected to what Shayla was feeling was when she was directly confronted with her identity and the reveal of a few identities toward the end. Most of the time, her emotional profile and the intimacy of her experience is lost because of so much telling of background details in spurts, though some of it is helpful to the story. I think it could've delved a bit more to make the story more plausible and true to the high school experience, as well as perhaps given a bit more skepticism (because it was way too easy for the other students to think that Shayla was a faerie.). Still, I'm surprised by how much I liked this lighthearted tale, and how cute it came across. It's a light read so it's easy to digest if you're not expecting a more developed story. I just wish that it wasn't as predictable in spurts and that I could've connected to the characters better. Overall score: 2.5/5 starsNote: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Cedar Fort.