Peter Pan in Scarlet

Peter Pan in Scarlet - Geraldine McCaughrean "Peter Pan in Scarlet" didn't appeal to me as much as I hoped, despite a nice narration done by Tim Curry in the audiobook version. The story takes quite some time building to a point of interest, unlike the original J.M. Barrie works. It seemed that many, including Peter Pan himself, acted distinctly out of character, save for perhaps the last third of the novel, which actually kept and held my attention all the way until the end. However, the buildup to that point took a long time, and while I think McGaughrean is a decent writer, I don't think she captured the magic of the franchise and the characters compared to some Peter Pan adaptations I've seen or read.The premise of the story revolves around Wendy and the gang returning to Neverland after nightmares begin leaking out of the area. They have to don children's clothing (this seemed implausible to me) in order to return to their child like selves to return to Neverland, and see what was wrong with Peter. Neverland itself is in disarray, and many believe that Hook is dead after Peter made sure the Croc devoured him. But nothing is as it seems, and Peter's strange behavior has many of his old friends worried for him. The twist in the story was interesting, but it came at such a late point that it was hard to hold interest up until it happened. There were scenes that I really loved in the median between, such as the encounter with the fairies, but those scenes were far and too few to match to the alluring pull of the original stories.I think if you really love the charm J.M. Barrie's works, it may be wise to skip this story, because it may disappoint the dearest Peter Pan fans. I liked parts of it, but not enough to read the story more than once.Overall score: 2/5