Toys

Toys - James Patterson, Neil McMahon I knew what I was getting into when I picked up James Patterson's "Toys". This was entirely self-inflicted on my part. The overblown premise, for one, with the comparison of the hero being above James Bond and Jason Bourne, suggested that not everything in this book was what it seemed. Not to mention the character's living a Gary Stu perfect lifestyle, which suddenly comes crashing down when a startling discovery changes his life and sets him on the run from governmental authorities.Still, I decided I'd give it a go. It helped that Matt Bomer, of USA's "White Collar," narrated the audiobook. He was probably the most consistent and great thing about the experience, so I'm not even sorry that I spent about eight hours listening to his smooth delivery of the story. The book on the other hand? Meh.The action scenes were decent, fluid in their pacing - that's probably the one good thing I can say about the story. The rest was a mess. I'm not going to say that the story didn't have decent ideas and worldbuilding structure for a potentially enthralling sci-fi thriller, but the characters and plot details were a massive fail. How does the character end up hating humans all his life to all of a sudden aligning with them and fighting with them when he discovers himself to be one of them? The logic seemed to be missing in the flesh of the story and that's one of the things that turned me off. I didn't mind the setup of of the world, the elite versus the domestic classes, but a lot of it was basic cheese. The sex references/scenes I would've rather done without entirely.I'd honestly recommend that people give this story a pass. There are much more thorough sci-fi thrillers out there with great worldbuilding, memorable characters, and clashes that actually mean something. This was nothing more than a stock story with not much logic.Overall score: 1.5/5