Winter's Passage

Winter's Passage - Julie Kagawa "Winter's Passage" is a decent novella accompanying the "Iron Fey" series, specifically following the events between "The Iron King" and "The Iron Daughter". If I were to rate it as far as being a stand alone novella, it probably wouldn't be as high in consideration because the character development and world isn't as vivid on its own, versus being a follow-up to "The Iron King." I read this directly after reading "The Iron King", so my enjoyment of it may be more than those who pick it up on its own or read the bridging stories out of order.In the novella, Megan follows Ash to the Winter Court as a part of the contract she made with the Ice Prince. The story takes place after Megan assures Ethan's safety and leaves home in order to fulfill her end of the bargain. Before the two travel there, they visit Megan's friend Puck on the way and meet with a formidable enemy who chases them along their journey. I think the novella was a little clunkier in flow than I expected, but I liked the overarching story and found it a nice bridge between the first and second book of the series. Julie Kagawa keeps the voices of the characters consistent and plausible with the context of the story, and the conflict is sound and interesting to watch unfold.It leaves on a cliffhanger that leads into the second novel of the series, and while it does make me excited to read the next installation, I somewhat wish that the novella were a little more self contained. Nonetheless, I liked it for what it offered.Overall score: 2.5/5