Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise, Part 1

Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 - Gene Luen Yang, Bryan Konietzko, Michael Dante DiMartino, Gurihiru A wonderful bridge/follow up to the Avatar: the Last Airbender series, "The Promise" involves the heroes taking on a difficult task: bringing peaceful relations to the surrounding nations. But this proves a more difficult situation since Zuko isn't completely comfortable stepping into his new role as the leader of the Fire Nation, and he makes Aang promise something that isn't easy for any friend to take on. I'll admit that I somewhat saw that proposal coming, but at least it's understandable and marks a point of tension to come - it's a good one.Sokka makes the suggestion for the name of the new project - the "Harmony Restoration" if you will - but there's not exactly harmony when Aang, Zuko and the others try to enforce it, and what happens after that leads to some new contentions that might tip the balance of the peace they've fought so hard to get and maintain. I personally liked this from start to finish and eagerly await the next volume, since this one ends on a cliffhanger. Beautiful artwork, fluid pacing and appropriate reactions from the characters (save for one that I found odd in the wording - though I think fans of the pairing might not mind when they note it, for me, it was just the wording that was awkward and I don't think the characters would necessarily use that term of endearment for their ages. But I will say that Katara's - who's one half of that pairing - reaction in one of the scenes is utterly hilarious when she faces off against the fire nation soldiers).Overall score: 4.5/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley from the publisher Dark Horse Comics.