Salt Water Taffy: Caldera's Revenge! Part 2 (Salt Water Taffy: The Seaside Adventures of Jack and Benny)

Salt Water Taffy, vol. 5: Caldera's Revenge! Part 2 - Matthew Loux Volume 5 of "Salt Water Taffy" served as my introduction to the series, and while I'll admit it took some time to adjust to the story "in medias res" - this was actually a fun, cute comic for anyone ages 7 and up. The scenes are drawn and structured well, but I was pulled into the story via the events as well as the charming characters.Jack Putnam has been separated from his little brother Benny after a whale called Caldera attacks their ship. Jack ends up being saved by a group of pirates that turn out to be ghosts, caught in a never ending quest for revenge against Caldera, because the beast killed them. Jack has to adjust to working on the pirate ship (he doesn't really have much of a choice), but with the help of two pirates that warm up to him and some trials that he has to overcome, he becomes a treasured member of the crew, at least for the moment.In the meantime, Benny's determined to find his brother and references an old story to try to put the pieces together on the monster that separated him and Jack. He finds the answer easily enough, but the intrigue is whether or not he can help his brother before Caldera strikes again.Volume 5 of "Salt Water Taffy" is officially Part 2 of the story called Caldera's Revenge, so I would recommend that anyone new to the story read Volume 4 in order to have an idea of where this story's coming from. Still, even with beginning the respective series here, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride it took me on. The character interactions were quite humorous in spurts, and I found myself chuckling at the bits of humor peppered through the story. It's a read that I would recommend to multiple age groups, because anyone who likes simply drawn pirate stories with bits of humor and young heroes will get a kick out of reading this.Overall score: 4/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Oni Press.