Halflings (A Halflings Novel)

Halflings  - Heather Burch "Halflings" seemed to me like a half-hearted attempt at a paranormal/urban fantasy story for the YA audience. My words might be blunt in that, but it was difficult to find much to like and hold interest through much of the novel. I found that it often skipped from one event to the next without proper transition, the characters were quite underdeveloped, and many familiar paranormal tropes were forced without so much as any development in the worldbuilding for this fantastical realm, with some assertions that nearly threw me completely from the story as I read through it.To give a brief summary, Nikki Youngblood is a special teenager who's being hunted by dark forces. When the novel commences, she's being chased by Hellhounds, which I thought was an interesting place to start from, though I wasn't sure why she was chased at first. She's saved by a half-human, half-angel (ergo, a "Halfling") named Mace, who cares for her though trying to keep his identity under wraps. The start of the novel seemed a bit in haste for events, transitioning from Hellhounds to a speeding van that follows Nikki (and results in her fainting two or three times within the first several chapters), but I thought maybe that it would expound later on as to why these events occurred. At the same time, the group of Halflings (a.k.a the Lost Boys) aren't exactly happy with the meddling of human affairs with regards to Nikki. There's some mildly amusing banter between Mace and the Lost Boys, but it's hard to tell who they are at first from the position in the novel - I figure that's something that'll be developed later as the story moves forward. By this time, Mace, Raven and Vine are all protectors that have fought for Nikki in some way, and she suspects something's up, but she never comes out and says what it is.Until she marches up into their stronghold and tells them they're angels, which was another awkward transition because there wasn't any smooth path leading up to that mention. The explanation of a Halfling and their history is the first point where I nearly put the book down, because while some of the angel terminology seemed consistent with other works, if you're going to have a major historical event/shift/change/mention in any story and try to give it conviction that the reader can care about and/or *learn* from, it's a good idea to develop it and expound so that it doesn't seem just thrown in arbitrarily. That said, the mention of the Holocaust and Hitler with the Halfling mythos didn't make sense. It wasn't developed to anything that really added to the story.It's later revealed that Nikki has a Seer ability - which means she can draw things that depict events in the future. This is a cool concept, but it's never shown more than once. And the conflict of a super scientific conspiracy that can only be stopped by the interference of the angels seemed a bit grandiose at best for a conflict.In the mix of that conflict, there's an instalove triangle developed with Nikki pinning betwen Mace, the Halfling who seemed to be a decent "good guy", and Raven, the "bad boy" Halfling and more daredevil personality. The transition between these likes seemed off, and it was as if one moment Nikki's affections went toward one and then turned to the other in a heartbeat.It was just too many issues and derivations for me to really see beyond them.Overall score: 1/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher Zondervan.