Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Jesse Andrews I think I love Jesse Andrews a little more after finishing this book. It's been a while since I've read a book that made me laugh, cringe, and maybe a little sad at the same time. Yet the experience of reading "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" was a rather new one for me. Why? Because it manages to almost break every rule of writing a novel that you could possibly think of. Even Andrews warns (in his foreword and via his protagonist Greg Gaines) that this book isn't very good. That the reader might want to kill him for it. Even when the epilogue says that he was "glad" to be finished with the thing.Given all the reminders, the fourth-wall breaking, info-dumping, the times that vulgar language was used, the switching in dialogue styles and representations, among other things - I probably should've disliked this book. No, not dislike, more like raged and come out with arms swinging. Maybe take a page of the playbook from Earl and do some head kicks of my own.Yet Greg, Earl and Rachel managed to grab a part of me that made me like and want to remember them, even in the small parts. The story primarily showcases Greg, a high school kid who likes making films, is a bit on the chubby side, and is somewhat of a social misfit who doesn't have luck with girls. He proceeds to tell us so in so many measures. All of that seems to come to a head when one of the girls he used to know in Jewish school, Rachel, is diagnosed with leukemia. Feeling gutted to a degree, Greg starts hanging out with Rachel again, and establishes a connection with his film making co-hort Earl. The humor in this book is point-blank, and there were many times when I laughed while holding my sides, and other times when I snorted at some of the quirks. It's all rather hit and miss though, much like the book in its overall construction. You're either going to love it or its going to be a complete miss. It's different from many books that I've read with the subject revolving around losing someone to illness, but I would think to say this book isn't just about Rachel, but Greg coming to terms with himself in some ways. There aren't any revelation messages for this book to have, but it was simply a read that I think people will enjoy if they take it as is. I would recommend this book for more mature young adults on the note of the language and content, but all in all, I enjoyed reading this. I would certainly look into more work from Andrews in the future.And if he asks, I definitely don't want to throw the book at him after finishing this novel. I kinda wanna hug him (for making Earl awesome, for making Greg a cool guy even if he doesn't think of himself as one, and for showing Rachel's story.)Overall score: 3/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher ABRAMS.