Crazy

Crazy - Amy Reed Note: I received this as an ARC from S&S Galley Grab.Initial reaction: Another book that kept me up to the wee hours of the morning to read through. It was worth every moment. I loved the story, even if there were parts of the story that I didn't care for. That may not make sense in my sleep deprived brain. I'll try to explain it more tomorrow.Full Review:"Crazy" is the first book I've ever read from Amy Reed, and what a story to start out with. For such a difficult subject matter, this book hits the nail on the head when it comes to portraying the story of someone struggling with bi-polar disorder, and the desperation of a boy determined to help the girl he cares about. One of the first elements that most may notice with this book is that it's written in a series of emails and chat sessions between Isabel (Izzy) and Connor, two friends who have their stark differences, but help each other along as they have various struggles to face. Connor's problem lies more in his stability with romantic relationships and prepping for the future, while Izzy seems to have problems along those lines on the surface.However, Izzy's behavior starts taking a turn for the worse. At her best, she tends to be creative, spontaneous, and have a no-holds-barred attitude, but at her worse, her foulest moods attack the people she loves as well as herself - and she sets off in a panicked path of self-destruction. I understand that there are people who won't like Izzy for her off-filter comments (some of the things she said made my eyebrows lift as I read through), but I found it hard to not feel for the girl when she's at her worst moments. I could understand her conflict with her dysfunctional family in sorts. In the same vein, I also understood why she acted the way she did and hit a point where she lost all control and didn't know who to turn to. Connor is sympathetic, because you understand he's having his own ups and downs, but at the same time he's trying hard to balance his frustration and concern for Izzy. The tension builds slowly at first and then accelerates into a whirlwind that doesn't come without pain, and it hit me rather hard. I won't spoil anyone to the events that occur, but I think Reed does an excellent job with balancing the tension, showing the lives of the two teens interacting through their distinct voices, and ultimately showing the impact of a young woman's condition and the road to helping her come to terms with it and get the help she needs.Overall score: 4/5