The Sum of My Parts: A Survivor's Story of Dissociative Identity Disorder

The Sum of My Parts: A Survivor's Story of Dissociative Identity Disorder - Olga Trujillo "The Sum of My Parts" is the courageous account of Olga Trujillo's experiences with Dissociative Identity Disorder and the understanding of how her experiences led to its development. In the book, she tells her story of how she endured a sexually abusive, neglectful childhood, and created distinct dissociative identities as a coping mechanism to shield herself from the physical and mental pain she endured. In the course of her life, she learned of the existence of these identities, and in addressing them she endured many heartaches as she started knocking down her walls while discovering the truth of her past. Yet, in the process, she was also able to achieve much in her career and form healthy relationships that brought her joy and comfort. She was also able to come to terms with her experiences as she tells of the rocky road getting there, but reflects on finding the courage to speak about her experiences and help other trauma victims in her work. I don't think I can put words to say how much this book touched me in its narrative. I felt for Trujillo in her personal reflections through her experiences and on the road through her recovery. She gives an open, articulate account, showing a resilience in her narrative while at the same time reflecting on moments where she was vulnerable. I think its the kind of memoir that will resonate for a long time with its readers and show that it is possible to find a road to survival. The first seven chapters of this were difficult to read, because it is a detailed account of the physical and sexual abuse she experienced as a child. It's not graphic, but as Trujillo notes at the beginning of the book, it can be triggering for some readers. It's a wonderfully touching, engrossing story, and I highly admire her courage and eloquence in telling it.Overall: 4.5/5Note: I received this as an ARC from NetGalley, from the publisher New Harbinger Publications.