The Lost Saint: A Dark Divine Novel

The Lost Saint - Bree Despain "The Lost Saint" is a decent follow up in Bree Despain's Dark Divine series. I wasn't sure if I would like the book in points because Grace does engage in a number of reckless acts, but I understood Grace's desperation to find her brother Jude and control her internal agitations, stemming from the events of the previous novel. It starts with an odd call from her brother - warning her of an oncoming danger, transitions to a point where her boyfriend, Daniel, is oddly secretive, occurs in the backdrop of several mysterious break-ins and deaths around town, and culminates as Grace learns to embrace her abilities and fight her internal beast. It's a bumpy ride in spurts, but oddly, as I listened to the audiobook, I wanted to know more. I still felt the characters were at odds in spurts, and the pacing of the novel does have its slower moments, but once the ball starts rolling with the culmination of the conflict, it hooked me. The aspect that most frustrated me with this novel the most was the ending. It was left wide open on a cliffhanger. I was some measure of vexed after reading it and it left a sour taste in my mouth. One door had closed and another was left wide open without much expansion. Made me feel like nothing had really been answered at all when it came to that particular thread of the story. I also missed some of the connection with the characters that the previous novel had established, particularly in its developmental tones. The movement of the plot was fluid, but lacked the character focus that allowed me to connect with the characters in the first novel, so that - for me - was disappointing. Nonetheless, I'm still invested in this series to see where it goes, and it manages to follow through with a decent paranormal story, though it doesn't focus as much on the romance or character development as the previous novel. I did like the rolling action, and I'm anticipating seeing where the novel develops from here in the next book.Overall score: 2.5/5