Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words

Poemcrazy: Freeing Your Life with Words - Susan G. Wooldridge I bought Poemcrazy at a book sale at my undergraduate university and used it after taking a few creative writing classes in poetry.There's a give and take with this book I think people will weigh on a scale depending on how you approach the art of poetry writing. While she talks about her life in spurts in this book, and while I didn't find myself always stepping into her shoes, I found that her exercises were actually quite useful in their natural flow and simple approach. I used them in random spurts to inspire my writing many times.She encourages a natural style to writing - her prompts ranging through everything from writing random words down and then slapping a color in front of them to inspire a theme to write on, to creating your own custom form poetry - she keeps it minimal to allow a person to work through their own sense of imagination, and her approach to it is encouraging and easy to digest. Many may feel that she needs more expansion on certain themes/ideas in her book, but you have to take this book as being less technical and more on the thematic of just getting a person to work with their muse and write. It's a good book to read if you're suffering from writer's block and just need to get your words on a page, or if you're just looking (like I did) for some prompts to experiment with.Overall rating: 3.5/5If you want something a little more technical in terms of poetic theory/techniques/comprehensive analysis - I would highly recommend "A Poet's Guide to Poetry" by Mary Kinzie - that also includes prompts for the poet to write with, but in an expanded context.