Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed - Emily Giffin I spent the better part of the day reading this book, all 300 some odd pages, and was utterly disappointed by it. Granted, I don't harbor any ill will towards chick-lit books, but what started off as a mildly interesting story dwindled into a spiraling trainwreck of deception and haphazard emotions between flat and stereotypical characters. I'll briefly summarize the main point of the story: Rachel, a seemingly good-natured lawyer in her 30s ends up sleeping with the fiancé of her best friend after a drunken night. Cloaked with guilt, she realizes that she has a growing attraction to Dex, the fiancé, whom she initially introduced to Darcy, her best friend. Darcy is villainized as the best friend who has not only stolen previous boyfriends and opportunities for Rachel, but continues to intrude upon Rachel's life in the months preparing for the wedding. I'm sorry, but I don't buy completely villainizing someone who's supposed to be a best friend at the perspective of a woman (Rachel) who seems just as needy and flawed as the character she complains about. I also never had a true sense of attraction noted between Darcy and Dex or Dex and Rachel other than some of the intimate moments between the latter two (which, admittedly, were well written in spurts).By the end, there really any sense of satisfaction or justice for any of the characters except for a predictable ending, and even in that, one could argue that if that weren't the point, there's not a sense that the scheme of events had any realism to them - it played out like a forced soap opera. I disliked Darcy about as much as I disliked Dex and Rachel, the latter the protagonist and the perspective in which this story is written. It's confounding when you have most of the main characters involved in cheating relationships with ill treatment of how heavy of an issue it is, and then trying to justify the cheating relationship because it's true love? No, that's quite farfetched even if you extract the scheme of events transpiring in this story. This book trivialized the issue to the point of oblivion and tried to pass it off in a feel good way.The one merit I will give this story is that Giffin did start this book with some well written backstory and reflection upon the characters, but at the same time, that quality doesn't hold water through the rest of the book, and the conflict drags on for more than it really had to.I don't normally harp on literature as much as I do with this, but I have to say it really wasn't that good in its overall quality, and I don't think I'd choose to read it again. There were parts of it that I liked, but not enough to make me say that I'd hold much value for it in recommendations.I may read the sequel just to see what it offers, but my impressions of this story individually aren't in the highest light.Overall score: 1.5/5