Unpredictable

Unpredictable - Eileen Cook Eileen Cook's "Unpredictable" is a bit the opposite of its title, but I have to say that it was a fun, relaxing read when I consider the whole of it, and I took my time reading through much of the story the past few weeks. Sophie Kintock is a character you may either love or love to hate, to the point where you may find yourself scolding her impulsive decisions and lack of knowing just how troublesome a situation she's made for herself (I know I certainly did - she reminds me of a person I know in real life, maybe not as extreme). Of course, recovering from those predicaments usually means a trip to the mall or eating from a tub of ice cream with her best friend Jane.The story revolves around a single problem at first - after a long committed relationship, Sophie's boyfriend Doug decides to break up with her, and not just break up with her in a polite way, but in a spontaneous, off the wall manner that sends Sophie's world reeling. Now, at first I thought Sophie's reactions were a little out there, stalkerish even (the whole stealing his sock from his laundry set thing made me wonder just how many marbles this girl had in her brain), but then I realized that it was just one part of her personality as the book went on, and she does *think* she's head over heels, I-want-to-spend-the-rest-of-my-life-with-this-guy mentality with respect to Doug.It's when she realizes that Doug's new "girlfriend" is a firm believer in psychics that the plan to get him back seems to take a whole other degree of antics, leading Sophie on a rollercoaster ride of becoming a false psychic (thanks to a Ph.D skeptic named Nick) and even becoming one that earns a radio gig.I think there are a lot of great ideas and plot points in "Unpredictable", and it certainly presented the story well and provided plenty of backstory - highlighting Sophie's thoughts, experiences, crazy schemes, and comfort zones among a cast of characters that seem likable enough, but I felt there were parts of this story that dragged out way too long, some of them to the point where they felt added in, and that slowed the momentum in me reading it, and then later they don't amount to much adding to the story (example - Sophie completely making a fumbling mess of herself in front of her ex's mother). Sure, there were genuinely funny moments here, which brought a grin to my face in spurts, but I felt there were incidents where the story told me too much that didn't quite coincide with the flow of the main story, and I usually appreciate slice of life, romance, even some women's fiction (not quite the same as chick lit). I could also make the point that while Sophie does grow in some of the experiences, it's not so much of a gradual or developmental growth that a reader who wants something deeper can sink their teeth into. You can kind of put a label on a lot of the characters in this novel: Jane being the responsible best friend, Doug being the well-to-do, self-indulgent boyfriend, Sophie being the airhead heroine, and Nick being the sensible, practical foil. But in all - it's not a novel to come into with too many expectations. It's easy to pick up, read on a rainy day. I did leave the book slightly wanting more, but I can't complain about at least taking for what the book provided in its progression. I'd recommend this to people who want just a light, ditzy heroine and interspersed comedic romance.Overall score: 3/5