Zen in the Art of Writing: Essays on Creativity

Zen in the Art of Writing: Essays on Creativity - Ray Bradbury I read through this within only an hour and some odd minutes, but Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing" is a series of essays that accounts his journey as a writer, and imparts the advice that he wishes to give aspiring writers in their respective craft. I enjoyed reading it for the most part - part of it is a reflective memoir of how the process came for writing some of his most endearing works, while others address the reader directly as to how to hone their own skills. The most interesting piece of advice I grabbed from this book came towards the end in his "zen" description of writing - work, relaxation, and don't think. It's something a lot of writers do that they may not even find themselves doing, and allows the creative process to take its course.I liked how the essays were arranged and how his experiences mingled in with his practical approach to writing. I wouldn't say it's as much of a technique book as it is an approach. I definitely recommend it as something any aspiring writer should read, regardless of genre.Overall score: 4/5