Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer Volume 2: The Great Puppet Theater

Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer Volume 2: The Great Puppet Theater - 'Van Jensen',  'Dustin Higgins' First thing I thought when I saw this comic: wooden puppet meets vampires - oh no. I knew the nose had to be the stake the first I heard it, but even then, it still sounded hilarious. Yet, Pinocchio: Vampire Slayer has both a humorous element and tragic element to it that made it cursedly appealing. It relies much on the original tale of Pinocchio (i.e. not the Disney version), with dark, pointed humor as sharp as Pinocchio's nose (no pun intended). Pinocchio's journey has him protecting his village and friends from an invasion of vampires, particularly since they'd seen to Geppetto's demise (hearing that blurb in the beginning of the story was enough to make me say - aww.) After that Pinocchio abandons much of his restraint to battle against the demons that killed his father. Odd enough I did find it cute when he ended up lying and had to break off his nose, only to use it to fight a minute later. The artwork is decent, though I wish it had a bit more polish to it. Still, it was a quick, entertaining read, and I enjoyed it for what it offered. I heard that there are other installations in the series, so I'll look forward to seeing what happens from here on out.Overall score: 3.5/5