The Braddock Boys: Brent (Harlequin Blaze)

The Braddock Boys: Brent (Braddock Boys, #2) - Kimberly Raye I figured I'd choose a paranormal book for one of my 100 Harlequin Reads (because I figured I would run into one sooner than later), and the installation of the "Love at First Bite" series, "Brent" came up as I perused audiobooks in the Harlequin line. Let me state a few things - one: this book features a lot of sensual tension and release between the two leads, and if that's all you're looking for, including a bit of steamy vampiric scenes (particularly steamy sex), then I think it's one of those books that some may enjoy. Of course for those of you who read my reviews, you know I definitely expect more. Two: I liked the narrator of the audiobook - he has a great voice and paces the characterization quite well, which is probably why I liked the book more than I probably would've if I read it. That said, I wasn't necessarily taken by this more than other paranormal or romantic reads, though the premise is interesting, if not familiar. Brent is a vampire who's had enough of love after being betrayed by the one who he loved the most some time before, but he finds a challenge when Petty Officer Abby Trent walks into town with a mission of her own. The two are at first repulsed by the other, taking every measure to avoid each other, then end up in just the opposite realm.I'll admit I thought Abby wasn't a very confident character despite her identity, and there were times when I just didn't like Brent's demeanor, until I realized why he acted the way he did, and I did feel for him in spurts of the unfolding relationship. At least his tormented character wasn't over the top or beaten over my head, nor were Abby's vices. They seemed human and probably more realistic in this line of books than peers, and the unfolding conflict in which they were involved was properly paced and tied by the end.It wasn't a bad read for what it offered, though I think it could've had more development and fleshing of the plot to drive it home. I added .5 for the nice audiobook narration, but it's a two star story that left me with lukewarm impressions.Overall score: 2/5