Shades of Milk and Honey

Shades of Milk and Honey  - Mary Robinette Kowal For all the praise that "Shades of Milk and Honey" garnered in its respective release, I was very excited to read this Regency romance with an added flare of magic incorporated into the novel, but surprisingly, it turned out more light than I expected it would. The characters felt a bit common (though I did like Jane and Vincent), and I felt there wasn't enough delving into the magic elements to really bring it more to life and full uniqueness. It's a standard story where you can see what's coming before it comes, so the unpredictability factor is lower than what I anticipated. For that, I was a little disappointed, but I still enjoyed the author's prose very much."Shades of Milk and Honey" portrays the very plain "Jane", twenty eight years old and with very little hopes of marrying (as compared to her beautiful sister Melody). But as she's developing her own talents, she unwittingly falls in love, and has to face a number of challenges in the measure of things before the story gets to its conclusion. I was satisfied with the developing relationship between the characters, and I did like some members of the secondary cast (though I'll admit some of them were forgettable - if only because they were, truly, standard characters). I think for a debut novel, Kowal's work is a good following for those who like Regency romances with a bit of a magic element to make it stand out, but it is a story that you can swallow lightly. If you can consider that and not be too expectant of twists and turns, it's very enjoyable.Overall score: 3/5