Beyond This Horizon

Beyond This Horizon - Robert A. Heinlein I have a profound respect for Robert A. Heinlein's works, so it's a bit of a disappointment when I say that "Beyond This Horizon" is not one of his better works. Reason being is that while the story focuses on an alternate universe where genetic imperfections are absent and genetic manipulation is a prime factor, the way it plays out is very haphazard at best. The ideas presented, especially in the first half or so of the book, are very well plotted and even bear some significant ideals to ponder upon today. I give it full credit for introducing and expanding upon those ideals.However, that might be what comprises the whole of the two stars that I give it, because the rest of it really doesn't measure up. The characters aren't very compelling, nor does the novel really have a cohesive storyline that propels it forward. The ideas are there, the execution is not. By the very end of the novel, it doesn't do well to tie any of the ends established by its collective cast, and one thing to keep in mind is that this is a serial novel, which explains some of the cohesiveness issues, but not the lack of compelling drive. I think that if you do want to see the work that Heinlein's written in his push to write some of the work he later excels upon (this novel was originally serialized in 1942, but published as a complete work I think in 1948), then this is worth the read. It is also worth the read if you want to read some of his ideals about genetic composition and manipulation. However, don't read it if you're looking for an immersive story where you expect to care about the characters, because it will disappoint you. I give it credit where its due, but I'm not likely to read this again, unfortunately.Overall score: 2/5