Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 1)

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging  - Louise Rennison Louise Rennison brilliantly captures the charming, hilarious voice of Georgia Nicolson in "Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging," the first in the "Confessions of.." series. Written in the perspective of a British teenager as she addresses her "American chums", 14-year-old Georgia explores her day-to-day life and trials with family, love, and everything in between. I'll admit, jumping into this series, I had no idea how funny it would be, and while the humor might be defined in British terms on many levels (there's a glossary in the back of the book to define terms like snogging - which is kissing, or nuddy pants - which basically means someone's naked), the humor is quite universal. Everything from shaving off her eyebrows accidentally to practicing snogging and falling for a "sex god" (Robbie, her high-school crush). Watching her get into some downright maddening situations was well worth seeing unfold in and of itself.I really enjoyed Rennison's voice and character in this work, even as the book is written in a series of journal entries. Georgia herself has a distinct character voice and its easy to follow her and understand why she feels certain ways, even among her interactions with the larger cast, which include her parents, sister, and friends. This isn't the kind of story that you would pick up to gain some moral lesson or take from it beyond the context of enjoying the read for what it offers, and humor wise, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was for me. For teens/young adults who want a casual read that makes them laugh and relate to the ups and downs of experiencing high school, it's well worth looking into.Overall score: 3.5/5