Cryer's Cross

Cryer's Cross - Lisa McMann Lisa McMann's "Cryer's Cross" will probably strike different readers depending on what the reader's initial impressions of it will be. It's a very quick read, easy to digest in one prolonged sitting (I read the entire book in an evening), and has very nice characterization for the most part. As far as my overall impressions of it go, especially revolving around the unfolding plot, I'll admit I'm underwhelmed after finishing it, though I enjoyed the ride for the most part. If you are looking for a book with supernatural elements taking a backseat for developing character chemistry, this is probably one you may enjoy, but if you're looking for a well-developed mystery/suspense/horror book, look elsewhere, otherwise it may be a very disappointing read.The story has an interesting premise, revolving around a sixteen year old girl named Kendall who suffers from OCD and has to deal with not only the daily challenges of living with the condition, but also swallowing new events that befall her local town. Two new students (Jacian and Marlena) move into town in the heat of disappearances revolving around two local teenagers, one of the missing who happens to be Kendall's boyfriend Nico. What transpires after that is more of a focus on a budding touch-and-go romance between Kendall and Jacian (parts of which are very nice), but the mystery lacks proper build-up and isn't really touched upon in detail or proper buildup until the very last several chapters of the book. I don't think the "We" excerpts made enough impression on me to really suffice the underlying mystery/horror element that this book had to offer, especially with an inanimate object that had supposedly had so much history to it - I felt it came in way too late for it to have much impact. Granted, it made sense once I put the pieces together and the backstory behind the supernatural elements, but I felt there wasn't any true buildup or terror with it because there was so little balanced focus with it throughout the story, though the primary plot's tension hinges so much upon it.On the contrary, if you read this as more of a character centric work apart from the mystery, the attention to detail on Kendall's OCD is refreshing, the interactions between the families is realistic, and I liked the moments where Kendall and Jacian interact even to where they finally warm up to each other. So, it's a give and take. I think the premise is a bit of false advertising for where the novel really shines. I enjoyed it, but I felt the mystery/comprehensive plot was weak.Overall score: 2.5/5