Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan I really liked "Boy Meets Boy" - probably far more than I thought coming in because I thought it would be a completely over-the-top, fantastical journey given the premise; I was a little weary because I thought "It's a great idea, but I don't know if the perfected realm gives a realistic view of what teens might go through in this measure). It surprised me to see how real it comes across in its issues, even with taking into consideration the stipulations Levithan gives in the environment created in the work. I also loved the humorous, hilarious journey that carries forward with respect to the characters. It's not a picture perfect story in any measure of the word - I had to suspend disbelief in several places with the over-the-top descriptions, but ultimately, it left me with a sweet taste in my mouth, much like the candy hearts on the cover.The story opens with Paul, a boy who's known he was gay ever since he was a child. He grows up in a well-fostered environment where people accept him for who he is. That to me was fine, though the backstory section took up a much longer part of the book than the rolling dynamic of the actual story - Paul falling headfirst in love with Noah, while also suffering the confusing adorations of his ex-love Kyle, and trying to prevent misunderstandings while sorting out his feelings. Add to that a friend (Joni) who distances herself from Paul while in the midst of her own budding relationship, a 6' something quarterback/homecoming queen who gives Paul advice (Infinite Darlene, who's hilarious), and a friend who struggles to make his parents accept him for who he is (Tony) and you have the collective cast of "Boy Meets Boy." The result is an entertaining and rewarding ride that somehow manages to leave a sweet impression in the end, even if it ties up things a little too smoothly in places.I think once the book pulled itself out of a bit drawn out beginning, I was able to steamroll all the way forward to the end, rooting for Paul despite how his relationships tied him in knots at times. On one hand, "Boy Meets Boy" is a typical romantic comedy (which progresses rather predictably), but on the other, it delivers strong messages about the meaning of relationships, and I think both of them went hand in hand in a great way. Levithan crafts both the humor and the characters well (I'll admit I chuckled in several places with the strong character voices leaping from the page.) It's not the type of book I would say that will leave you mind blown in seismic proportions, but in its contexts, it makes you appreciate human relationships and what it means to fall in love, be true to oneself, and ultimately find happiness.Overall score: 3.5/5