Hex Hall Book One

Hex Hall  - Rachel Hawkins Add me to the group of readers who found Hex Hall an awesome read. I think one of the reasons why I liked it as much as I did was because of how endearing the protagonist, Sophie, comes across and the distinct humor that peppers the book in places. (Lovechild of Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake = priceless. That and Sophie yelling "Bad Dog!" as a werewolf's about to attack her.)When Sophie, a young witch, showcases her powers in a love spell gone horribly wrong at her prom, she ends up sent by her parents to Hex Hall, a school for a multitude of paranormal beings. Witches, Werewolves, Shapeshifters, and Vampires to name a few. Things aren't necessarily easy for Sophie at the boarding school as she manages to earn the ire of the teachers, crushing over one of the hottest warlocks at school (whose girlfriend isn't particularly happy about it), and ends up rooming with one of only two vampires at the school, who has quite a dark cloud following her in terms of a reputation at the school. Sophie starts digging into a series of mysterious attacks on the students of Hex Hall, and in the process discovers the truth behind the events as well as questions surrounding her own identity. It's an entertaining ride, and certainly one that kept me reading all the way through until the end. The only thing I would say that bothered me was that Sophie seemed younger than her noted age in places, but I found it evened out as the book went along. It's a light read, one that I think young adult readers would enjoy, as it seems appropriate for those of the younger demographic in YA, but those who are older and looking for a light read would also find entertaining. I wouldn't go into it expecting a lot. Despite comparisons of this being a Harry Potter for girls in some circles, it doesn't go into as much worldbuilding or the depth of themes that Harry Potter does. Instead, I'd say this is a light romp of a paranormal school story with some fun moments and interesting twists that lead into potential for a promising sequel. Certainly worth the read and I can't wait to read the follow-up "Demonglass".Overall score: 3.5/5