Review: Between the Lines by Jessica Morrell

Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing - Jessica Page Morrell

This is a good guide, don't get me wrong, but I'll be honest - a lot of this felt more instructive on elements that I already knew, and it didn't engage or inspire me in the same way as some writing guides I've perused with respect to working with my own WIPs. I usually like a lot of Writer's Digest guides, but this one seemed bogged down in the narrative and not quite as practical for me personally as I would've liked. However, I'm not going to say that it isn't useful, because it delves into a lot of various story elements and tells when to use them, when not to use them, and the function they serve in a respective story. I have a feeling that this would be more helpful to a beginning writer, who may not know what these elements are in particular or where to best apply them, than someone who is a veteran and wants more of an active, engaging guide that not only instructs, but also gets you thinking more about the application side of things as well. This text, to me, felt a little more hampered than it should've been.

Overall score: 3/5