Review: The First Wife by Erica Spindler

The First Wife - Erica Spindler

Quick review for a rather quick read. Well, I definitely didn't see the end of this book coming. It's a multi-level mystery that takes its time working through the motions. The story revolves around Bailey, a woman who falls madly in love with a man with a suspicious past. Logan's family is a complicated one, and as Bailey follows him to Louisiana, she finds that he keeps secret after secret from her about his family, particularly involving the disappearance of his first wife, True. When Bailey suffers from an incident that leaves her with retrograde amnesia, she struggles to know who to trust and tries to put the pieces of her fragmented memory together in order to discover the culprit, but *he* or *she* might be closer to Bailey than she can guess.

I definitely liked the fact this novel kept me in due suspense. I couldn't guess who the culprit was, particularly because when you think it might be one person in particular, the plot would reveal some other aspect of the crime and throw those guesses out the window. Every single person in this particular book came across to me as shady (save for Bailey), and even in its OTT presentation of drama in moments, there were also moments where the story would poke fun at itself through the characters (which didn't bother me in the least). In the end, I was satisfied that it managed to be a quick read and lead to a satisfying solution. Though if I'm honest, this book gets about 3.5 stars from me because I felt moments where the development of the characters wasn't really as full as it could've been, and the pacing dragged to heck and back (When the story was slow, it was slowwww).

Overall score: 3.5/5 stars.