Review: Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick (Hush, Hush #3)

Silence - Becca Fitzpatrick

Quick review for a not so quick, and somewhat belated read. Originally, I had this as one of ten titles I wanted to read from my not-my-cuppa shelf in 2013, but it ended up getting pushed back since I had so many other reads on my plate to tackle. I don't know if stepping away from this series for a time helped, but this didn't come across as painful as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it left me rolling my eyes and annoyed the ever loving crumb out of me, but "Silence" did hold my attention from beginning to end, and that's more than I can say for some reads of its type that I've perused of late.

"Silence" picks up somewhat after the last book, with Nora recovering from amnesia. This begins a story plot that dragged on for goodness knows how much of the book; admittedly, it went on for too long. I knew that Patch wasn't completely out of the picture (I called his alias out from point one), and I knew that even with Nora trying to wrap her head around why she was kept in the dark by so many people in her life as well as the fact that her mother has hooked up with the father of her worst enemy. There's typical teenage drama for Nora, along with her haphazardly stumbling into dangerous situations she knows full well she shouldn't be in, but decides to jump head first within anyway.

I *headdesked* on behalf of this book many times, mostly because of Nora's silliness. Patch wasn't as big of a role in this book during Nora's escapades. Maybe that was a good thing, but Nora didn't really let the reader forget about Patch so easily with her constant musings of "dark eyes" and the boy who consumed her memories even when they weren't so clear to her. The makeout scenes between Nora and Patch were incredibly unnatural and forced, not to mention awkward for transition (Fitzpatrick's prose does not help this) between plot points. There were also times when Fitzpatrick undercuts the tension in the book because of Nora being inexplicably indecisive. She would set her mind on doing one thing, and then do another thing, and it would just make things that much more frustrating for following the story. It wasn't just the fact that she was a teenager, the motivations came out of nowhere and had no build up.

Still, seems like the story sets itself up for the final book in the series, and I will pick that up eventually. I'm just not sure when yet. For now, I think the strength in this book came from a well read audiobook reading, and so I'll continue that method for "Finale."

Overall score: 2/5 stars